Consulate-General of Japan in Chicago
Position in the Japan Information Center
Position Available: Outreach Coordinator (including Receptionist/ Librarian tasks)
Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Japan Information Center
Outreach Coordinator tasks
– Schedule, organize and teach programs which introduce Japanese culture (origami, tea
ceremony, kendo, kimono, calligraphy etc.) to local schools and community groups ※work with
other JIC staff members who are able to give such demonstrations
– Handle student inquiries for school projects
– Mail periodical publications of the Japanese government to concerned organizations/ individuals
– Receive and greet visitors
– Answer email inquiries and telephone calls
– Log daily usage of the JIC
– Maintain cultural displays
– Handle loans of books and electronic resources.
– Monitor the selection of books and electronic resources and organize them.
– Research topics of interest to JIC constituencies.
General office responsibilities including attending events organized by the JIC and other related organizations and helping other staff members’ tasks as needed
– US citizen or permanent resident holder (working permit holder)
– Bachelor’s degree in Education, Japanese studies, International Relations or a related area will be highly desirable
– Excellent communication skills
– Strong computer skills (database knowledge is preferred)
– English and Japanese are the working languages of the JIC. Fluency in oral and written English is
required. Fluency in oral and written Japanese is highly desirable.
Please submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format by December 15, 2014 to:
– No hard copy of application materials required
– In-person interviews will be held for the shortlisted applicants on January 8th or 9th at the JIC.
Questions should be directed to email@example.com. No telephone inquiries will be accepted.